Yup, you read it right… dog treats. What? You don’t think dogs deserve homemade treats too? Well my dog definitely does. In fact, I think he expects them. Oh, you’re making cookies…are they for me? (You have to read this sentence in a dopy dog voice) Many years ago I used to make my own dog treats all the time. I made this really complicated recipe that included things like bone meal, protein powder and all sorts of other hard to find and expensive ingredients. Then I discovered Buddy Biscuits bake at home dog treats and all that difficult ingredient collecting went out the window. Buddy Biscuits are kind of like Betty Crocker brownie mix for dogs- except they use really healthy ingredients- and the box comes with a dog bone shaped cookie cutter!
I got of out of the habit of making them though, and it’s probably been at least 3 years since I made any sort of homemade dog treat. Well, lucky for my dog about a month ago I stumbled upon this recipe for Cranberry Oat Dog Treats and decided that it was time to give them another try. Since I already had quite a few baking projects this week, and I’ve been a a roll with the human treats, it seemed only fitting that I should expand my baking repertoire to include something special for my canine friends.
I didn’t end up following the recipe that I had discovered exactly, in fact I didn’t really follow it at all. Instead I found another recipe from this website that was similar except that it included peanut butter. I ended up with a kind of combination of the two recipes using peanut butter and cranberries. I had my heart set on including the cranberries because I really liked the way they made the treats look. Also, dogs need antioxidants too- right?
Oh, and one final note- a certain non-canine member of my household thought these looked good enough to eat. The verdict? Dry and bland…very dry and bland. For dogs only!
Peanut Butter Cranberry Dog Treats
Inspired by Doggie Dessert Chef and Bullwinkle.com
Makes: about 3 dozen 2-inch cookies
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup cornmeal
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. In a medium bowl combine the water, canola oil, eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, oats and cornmeal. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir well to combine. Fold in the chopped cranberries.
4. On a well floured surface roll the dough out to about a 1/3 of an inch thickness. Using your dog’s favorite cookie cutter shape, cut out the treats and transfer to a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the treats in there, allowing them to cool and crisp. Store in an airtight container.